We Treat All Types: Stress, Cluster, Tension, Hormonal, Sinus, Wine, Noise or Light related – it doesn't matter what brings them on, we will be able to tell you if we can help in the first two treatments.
Leigh has a special interest in headaches and has been to many courses over her 14 year career. She is very excited to be able to help and advise people with headaches after attending some more courses (level 1 & advanced) associated with the latest studies (yet to be completed). She is finding that many clients are being referred by friends and local doctors by her success, with many people who have tried many other therapists, doctors, neurologists, ENT specialists with little result. It is her most favourite treatment to assess and implement as she watches the pain ease away within the first 2 - 4 sessions. Many people see Leigh who have suffered for 10-30 years. If she is unable to change your pain within the first 2 - 3 sessions, she refers you back to your doctor. Leigh does not crack necks, however the treatment is firm. She always checks your neck ligaments to make sure you are safe to treat. The first session can leave you feeling very tired and a bit sore in the neck, however the remaining sessions will allow for a reduction in symptoms if you are suitable for this treatment. Headaches can come from your jaw as well, read more on....www.jawphysio.com.au
- It usually takes 6 treatments. Some clients will need more, and some - usually younger people – need less.
- This treatment has been safely applied to people between the ages of 3 and 80 - no neck cracking is required.
- Other positions that bring headaches back on are: sitting on an aeroplane, sitting in the movies, painting, sitting in a long lecture, using your laptop in bed! However if you are unable to hold correct posture at work and slump forward, with your chin poking out, this will quickly return your symptoms.
Does your second neck joint - the bump just below your skull at the back of your neck - feel rotated or out of place? If so, this technique is for you!
- The founder of this new technique has had a very high success rate with headache and migraine sufferers, and they no longer suffer their symptoms (up to 80%)
- It does not matter what type of headache or migraine
- It does not matter what triggers your headache or migraine, it could be as easy as just being tired and dehydrated to as complex as hormones/wine/types of food etc. causing your pain
- This technique works on all headaches and migraines
- Our therapists are having the same success rate with our current clients and they are just not coming back for their normal maintenance!
- On the first session, we will know whether the treatment will work for you and we will advise you of this straight away. Our experienced therapists (over 10 years of experience) will assess your neck and vital ligaments at the top of the spine (this is quick, easy and painless)
- Then we use firm pressure (no cracking of joints as research has shown this does not get rid of the symptoms long term) on the top three neck joints which stops the joints endless nerve messages being sent to the brain.
- Depending on the type of headache / migraine depends on the combination of joints which are pressed for relief of symptoms, neck pain and even shoulder pain associated with the headaches and migraines.
Technical Explanation of How it Works:
The new treatment works on dampening down the nervous system via the top 3 neck joints (influencing the trigeminocervical nucleus - TCN)
Other types of treatment which are used to help headaches & migraines that also influence the trigeminocervical nucleus are:
- Greater occipital nerve injection
- Botox injection
Physiotherapy, however, is not invasive therapy like the above examples.
Our treatment does not include cracking of neck joints – as research (EBP) has proven this ‘switches off’ the core muscles of the neck and leaves the cervical spine more unstable.
The present ongoing research is trying to establish whether the TCN is responsible for the headaches/migraines. The current thinking is that, the already sensitised trigeminal nucleus (TCN), in Headache/Migraine clients, is easily triggered by extra small neural changes, which overloads an already sensitised TCN and sends information to the cortex to create a headache or migraine. These small changes are often:
Stress, Noise, Light, Smell, Menstruation / Menopause – the change in hormone levels is not the trigger, but the neural input telling the cortex that a change has occurred is the trigger, Wine, chocolate, etc
Our treatment of headaches is based on the following premise:
1. Cervicogenic – coming from the neck
From either disc disturbance (disturbance can be enough to cause severe pain, doesn’t need to be a bulge).
Or, joint/muscle related.
2. Over stimulated trigeminocerical nucleus (TCN)
(Non headache people will have normal low levels of nerve impulses through their TCN)
Those people who experience headaches have too much neural input through their trigeminal nucleus (TCN) - Sensitisation, from:
- Diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (Supraspinal inhibitory systems)
- Spinothalamic pathway
- Serotonin (inhibitory & excitory pathways)
- C1-3 cervical nerve roots (Not yet proven, but an ongoing line of research)
Once the complex assessment has isolated the affected area (C1, C2, or C3 or multiple levels), the therapist maintains sustained holds on that cervical level (neck joint level).
The client will often then say – ‘That’s my headache, your pressing on my neck but I can feel that behind my right eye!’ The sustained technique will dampen neural feed forward loop to the TCN and resolution of symptoms occur, i.e. the retro orbital pain resolves.
We conduct a thorough subjective assessment to screen out ‘red flags’ such as:
- Tumors, cerebral metastases
- Sub arachnoid haemorrhage
- Change in CSF levels
- Arterio venous malformation (vascular abnormalities)
It is also standard protocol for all our therapists to conduct upper cervical spine ligament tests (occipital ligament tests) of: Alar ligaments, Tectorial membrane, Odontoid ligament, Transverse Ligament. So that the neck is safe to work on. If a ligament is lax the client is referred back to their GP for further scans.
For further information do not hesitate to call Leigh on 08 9315 3855